TUI OFFERS CUSTOMERS ADVICE AND REASSURANCE AHEAD OF PEAK SUMMER HOLIDAY TRAVEL
21 July 2022: TUI, the UK’s largest tour operator, has today issued reassurance and advice for hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers as they prepare to get away for summer.
Recently voted ‘Most Trusted Travel Company’*, TUI was one of only three airlines in the UK that managed to run more than 99%** of its planned flying programme in June, with only 27 out of 4,091 scheduled flights needing to be cancelled – a cancellation rate of just 0.66%.
With more than two million customers already enjoying a holiday with TUI so far this year, and more than 750,000 in June alone, the travel giant has taken steps to build confidence and resilience in its summer holiday programme:
- It’s recruited hundreds more colleagues in airports, contact centres and in the operations centre to provide extra support to customers
- It now has thousands of travel experts and holiday reps available in stores, in hotels, on the phone or via the live chat in the TUI app 7 days a week to support
- It now has 5 aircraft on standby*** – 3 more than ever before
- It has even further strengthened relationships with partners, UK airports and destination airports to minimise any disruption and delays
- It’s offering day before bag drop at its busiest airports, including Gatwick, Birmingham, Bristol and Manchester to speed up the check in process
Andrew Flintham, Managing Director, TUI, says, “As one of the top performing airlines in the UK, we’re confident we’ve taken all the steps we can to ensure our customers can get away on holiday as planned this summer.
We’ve recruited more staff, we have more aircraft available, and we’ve further improved the way we communicate with customers to help them in the unlikely event things don’t go to plan.
As the UK’s number one holiday company we want our customers to know they can trust in TUI this summer.”
TUI reminds Brits heading on holiday this summer to:
- Make sure your passport is in date and that the names on your booking match those in passports. If you’re travelling to the EU, check your passport is not older than 10 years and that you have at least 3 months left before expiry on the day you return to the UK – check FCDO travel advice
- Download the TUI app – it’s a one-stop shop for everything to do with your holiday, from live travel updates, including your transfer to your hotel, and 24/7 chat so you can keep in touch every step of the way.
- Arrive at the airport no more than 3 hours before your flight. You’ll still have enough time to get through check in and security, but arriving any earlier can cause longer queues.
- Check your destination’s COVID-19 entry requirements to find out if you need to organise any tests.
- Keep your hand luggage to the 10kg allowance, and pack the essentials needed for your flight. Remember, no liquids over 100ml.
– ENDS –
Notes to editors:
* Source: The Sun Travel Awards 2022.
** Source: The Points Guy. 22 June 2022.
*** Standby aircraft used if aircraft in the fleet become unavailable due to technical issues.
Fast facts: What it takes to get customers away on holidays
- Our customer care team sends 80,000 pre-departure emails to customers each day
- TUI is flying more than 45,000 flights this summer to 59 destinations from 19 UK airports
- It takes 4 baggage handlers to unload one of our 787 Dreamliners – that’s roughly 87 bags each!
- There are 8 cabin crew on each of our 787 flights
- Our crew services around 2,600 drinks on each long-haul flight
- About 1,200 cups of tea and coffee are served on each TUI flight
ABOUT TUI UK & IRELAND
TUI UK and Ireland is the UK’s largest tour operator. As part of TUI Group, it is the business behind the TUI, First Choice, Marella Cruises and Crystal Ski Holidays brands, as well as TUI Lakes & Mountains, TUI Tours, TUI River Cruises, and its leisure hotel brand is TUI BLUE. TUI also provides thousands of experiences in 100 countries through TUI Musement, one of the world’s leading tours and activities digital platforms.
TUI UK & Ireland has a team of over 11,000 employees and its full holiday programme serves millions of customers each year.
Its airline, TUI Airways, operates to over 79 destinations in 33 countries with 68 aircraft. It was the first airline in the UK to take delivery of Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner.