Travel and health requirements

Your questions answered.

More questions answered

Are there any COVID restrictions still in place for any TUI destinations?

There are no longer any COVID restrictions in place for any of our destinations – however, there are still a handful of long haul destinations that do require a health declaration form to be completed prior to departure. You can check your destination by visiting Foreign travel advice - GOV.UK ( and by clicking on the Entry Requirements link.

Can I fly if I'm pregnant?

If you're setting off on holiday as an expectant mum, there are some extra things to think about before you can fly.   In most cases, you can fly up to the 36th week, providing your pregnancy is progressing as normal and there have been no complications along the way. That means you’ll need to have flown home before the start of your 37th week. Bear in mind, though, that if you're flying after 28 weeks - including your return flight - you'll need to let customer services know. You'll also need to get a fit to fly letter from your doctor or midwife, which must be dated no earlier than 14 days before your departure date. 

If you cannot travel due to your pregnancy, you need to contact your Insurance provider in the first instance, and then contact our Customer Service team to discuss your options.

You can find out more by visiting

Can I fly if I've recently had an operation?

If you've had an operation within the 14 days before you're due to travel, you'll need to let your doctor or surgeon know about your travel plans. They'll then tell you whether you need a fitness to fly letter, and will issue one to you if needed.

If you've had major surgery within a few months before your holiday - operations involving your heart or lungs, for example - you'll need to get a fitness to fly letter.

Broken bones
If you've recently broken a bone and want to know if you're still able to travel with us, take a look at "Can I travel with a broken arm or leg?"

Can I take currency into Tunisia?

You can take pounds, euros and dollars into Tunisia to exchange into Tunisian Dinar once you are in the country, however taking Tunisian Dinar into or out of the country is illegal.

Where can I get Tunisian Dinar in Tunisia?

Most hotels have cash points that accept UK cards where you can withdraw Tunisian Dinar. Alternatively, some hotels offer currency exchange services, which you can use to exchange your cash.

Can I use my European Health Insurance Card abroad?

Please consider the validity of your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from 1st January 2021.
You can find more information on the UK Government website.

Do I need any extra documents to travel to Mexico?

For the most up to date entry requirements for Mexico, including COVID testing, please refer to our Entry Reqirements section or you can visit Government's travel advice page.

Whilst you don't need a Visa to visit Mexico, you'll need to complete a Customs declaration form - these forms will be given to you on your flight.

All passengers aged 5 and over need to pay a tourist tax which costs $224 Mexican Pesos - roughly £8 per person - before you depart Mexico. You can purchase your tourist tax at any point before or during your holiday. Once purchased, you'll need to download the tax voucher to show at the airport when you are due to depart Mexico. We recommend that you do this before you depart for Mexico. Please note that the tourist tax only applies to customers departing from Cancun Airport (CUN). If you're departing from Puerto Vallarta (PVR) you don't need to pay tourist tax. The Quintana Roo Tax application form can be found here.

Do I need a passport?

Yes, you'll need a valid passport to travel with TUI. EU nationals may use their National Identity Card to travel within the European Community, but we recommend you use a passport wherever possible. You'll need to use a passport if you're travelling outside of the EU.

British Citizens must hold a valid 10-year passport. If travelling to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein from 1st January 2021, your passport must be less than 10 years old and will also need to have at least six months validity on the day of departure. UK Citizens can check out the website for passport, visa and health information. Other nationalities should check with their own governments.

To apply for your first passport or to renew an old passport, you'll need to make an appointment. To do this, call the Passport Advice line on 0300 222 0000. Calls are charged at the local rate.

If you don't have a UK passport, you should always check with your own embassy, high commission or consulate before you book.

Just so you know, it's your responsibility to comply with all passport, visa and other immigration requirements for the country you're visiting. Your passport and travel documents must be intact, too. You may not be allowed to travel if they're damaged or they've been tampered with. We don't accept any responsibility if you can't travel because you haven't complied with the requirements.

Going to Turkey?
Just so you know, for trips to Turkey your passport may need to be valid for longer than 6 months after you return. Take a look at our 'What are the entry requirements for Turkey?' page for more details.

Do I need a visa?

Cape Verde:
If you are on a TUI Package Holiday, Cape Verde Airport Tax is included in the price of your package holiday. It's essential that you register your details with us at least 7 days before you travel so that we can pay the airport tax on your behalf. To register your details go to

Important: If you do not register your details, you will be required to pay €31 per person upon arrival to passport control.

If you are on a TUI flight only booking you’ll need to pay an Airport Tax to enter the Cape Verde Islands. Airport Tax can be paid in cash at passport control at a cost of approximately 31€ per person or, to pay on line go to

Please note, if you booked your holiday within 7 days of departure, you will have to pay at the airport however, if you contact your TUI hotel representative providing the immigration receipt, they will refund this to you.

Marella Cruises
For Visa requirements for Marella Cruises, please refer to the FAQ "Do I need a Visa for my cruise?"

Do I need a visa to travel to Egypt?

If you're a British passport holder, must have a valid passport and a visa to enter Egypt.

You can get your visa at the airport when you arrive in Egypt, or from the Egyptian Consulate. If you're only travelling to Taba and/or Sharm el Sheikh, you won't need a visa. For the most up-to-date passport and visa info, visit

Do I need travel insurance?

Yes, you'll need to take out a suitable insurance policy for you and anyone travelling with you - including infants and children.

We can't accept responsibility for any loss that you or anyone travelling on your booking suffers if the individual isn't adequately insured. With all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply, so you need to make sure you've got the right policy for you.

Do I need vaccinations?

You'll need vaccinations to visit some of our destinations. Speak to your doctor at least two months before you're due to go away. Some treatments, for malaria for example, should begin well before you go. If you're booking within three weeks of your departure, speak to your doctor before you book.

For more information on vaccination requirements, visit the National Travel Health Network website or take a look at NHS Scotland's Fit For Travel site.

There is currently no risk of yellow fever in Jamaica, but there is a requirement for a yellow fever certificate in some circumstances. Travellers to Jamaica are advised to speak with their GP, Practice Nurse or a private travel vaccination clinic for advice on this.
Information concerning destinations which have travel vaccination recommendations and/or vaccine certificate requirements, including Yellow Fever advice, can be found by visiting:

Please note, customers travelling with Marella Cruises to any affected destination will not be required to provide vaccination proof when they return to Jamaica.

How long will my passport need to be valid for when I travel?

How long your passport needs to be valid for depends on the country you are visiting.
For EU countries:

-Your Passport must not be older than 10 years on the day you enter the country of your holiday destination (check the 'date of issue')

- Your Passport must have at least 3 months validity on the day you leave your holiday destination (check the 'expiry date')

Passport requirements for non-EU destinations vary and can require as much as 6 months validity - check the FCDO Travel Advice and the entry requirements page for the country you are visiting.
It's your responsibility to ensure that your travel documents are valid for your destination.

Visit the HM Passport Office website and the FCDO travel advice website for more details.

For all other nationalities, you'll need to check the embassy of the country you're planning to travel to, and with the passport office. 

TUI only follows official government guidelines and rules for passport validity as outlined below – if your passport doesn’t meet this criteria you may be denied boarding.

How old does my baby need to be to fly?

Babies must be at least 14 days old to fly with TUI.

If your flights are with another airline, please check directly with them before you book.

How old do children need to be to travel alone?

Package Holidays

Passengers need to be at least 18 years old to be able to go on a package holiday independently.

Flight only bookings

Children under 14 years old who are travelling on a TUI flight-only booking must be accompanied by another passenger aged 16 or over, who is travelling on the same booking reference.

Children aged 14 oto 17 can travel alone, as long as they don't need assistance. That said, we recommend that they be accompanied to the check-in desk by a parent or legal guardian. We'd also advise that the parent or guardian stays at the airport until the flight has departed, this is known as an Unaccompanied Minor.

To book a flight seat for someone between the ages of 14 and 17, a parent or legal guardian over the age of 18 would need to call us on 0203 451 2688. Calls from UK landlines cost the standard rate, but calls from mobiles may be higher. Please check with your network provider.

Visit the FCO website for details of travel requirements for each country around children travelling alone.

Is there a smoking ban in Mexico?

Yes, as of January 15th 2023 Mexico passed a new law making it illegal to smoke anywhere in public.

This includes smoking in patios, terraces, balconies, amusement parks, playgrounds, sports areas, hotels, beaches, entertainment centers, courts, stadiums, arenas, shopping malls, markets, hospitals, clinics, churches or places of religious worship, restaurants and bars.

However, there will be designated smoking areas in hotels.

Travel Aware - Stay Safe and Healthy Abroad

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office and the NHS have up-to-date advice on staying safe and healthy abroad.
For more on security, local laws, plus passport and visa information, see
Keep informed of current travel health news by visiting
For all the latest travel information about your holiday, please visit us at
The advice can change so check regularly for updates.

What ages do child fares apply to?

Package holidays
A child age ranges between two and 16 years old. This depends on which hotel you're staying at.

If your little one will still be under two years old on the date you come back from holiday, they can travel as an infant. That said, if they'll be celebrating their second birthday during the holiday, they'll need to book a child place.

Flight-only bookings
Children between 14 days old and two years old can travel as infants. If they're older than two, they'll need to pay the full fare for their own seat.

What are the entry requirements for Aruba?

British citizens must have a valid passport to visit Aruba, this should be valid for the duration of your stay.

You won't need a visa but you'll need to complete an Embarkation and Disembarkation Card (ED-card). You can complete a digital ED-card online after you've booked your flights - to do this, go to

The digital ED-card must be completed online at least 48 hours before your departure. If you don't complete the online form by then, you'll be able to complete a paper form on the plane. You can hand the paper form to the immigration officer when you arrive.

What are the entry requirements for the Dominican Republic?

British citizens must have a valid passport to visit the Dominican Republic. You'll need a tourist visa card too, this is included in the cost of your holiday.

For the most up-to-date passport and visa information visit the Foreign Office website.

What are the entry requirements for the USA?

You’ll need to purchase an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) at least 72 hours before you depart to enter the United States.

In some cases, you may not be eligible to participate in the Visa Wavier Program (ESTA) if you’ve visited certain countries, for example Cuba, and will need to apply for a visa.

For more information go to: Official ESTA Application Website, U.S. Customs and Border Protection ( and also the FCDO for the latest advice and costs:

What are the entry requirements for Turkey?

British citizens visiting Turkey for up to 90 days in a 180 day period won't need a Visa. However, your passport will need to be valid for at least 6 months after the date you arrive in Turkey and at least 3 months after the date you leave the country. 

We recommend you visit the FCDO website for the most up-to-date information - .

Will I need to pay a tourist tax for Morocco?

Tourist tax is set by the Moroccan government. If the hotel you've selected doesn't include this tax, we'll let you know in the 'Important Information' section right before making your payment on our website. In such cases, you'll need to settle the tax directly with the hotel.

Will I need to pay a Tourist Tax in Tunisia?

Customers travelling to Tunisia must pay a hotel tax. This is 2 Tunisian Dinars per person per night for 3-star hotels and 3 Tunisian Dinars per person per night for 4 and 5-star hotels. This must be paid on arrival to the hotel and is not reclaimable if you leave the hotel early. The maximum number of nights the tax can be charged is seven, so customers staying longer than seven nights will only be charged for the first seven nights of their stay. Children under 12 are exempt from paying the tax. Hotel tax is charged instead of the Airport Exit Tax that used to be in place in Tunisia.

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Try searching again

Search suggestions

Looking for something else?

Everything you need to know in one place