Sandwiched between Nicaragua and Panama in Central America, a whopping 51% of Costa Rica is covered in thick jungle. That means it’s an adventure playground of rushing waterfalls, tangled forest trails and white-water rapids. Think of it like running around your very own Jurassic Park – only, you know, without all those man-eating dinos.
Hike through the rainforest at Sarapiqui. You could come face-to-face with sloth bears, colourful toucans and the country’s famous red-eyed tree frog – thanks to this fella’s bulging eyes and blue legs, you can’t miss him.
1. Try white-water tubing. The Tenorio River, on Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast, is a popular spot for white-water rafting. But even more fun is climbing into a rubber ring and letting the river take you for a ride.
2. Zip line through Monteverde Cloud Forest. The best view of this misty, magical mountain forest is undoubtedly from a zip wire: hook yourself on and squeal your way through the tree tops.
3. Trek around an active volcano. Arenal Volcano – active, but currently ‘resting’– is Costa Rica’s signature sight, an imposing cone of black rock looming over green hillsides. Get up close by trekking the surrounding frozen lava flows and dense rainforest.
1. Bathe in Tabacon Hot Springs. What better way to soothe those post-volcano-hike muscles than sitting under a thermal waterfall, hidden among lush palms?
2. Be a beach bum in Playa Tamarindo. It’s the top spot for the country’s favourite pastimes – surfing and partying.
3. Watch turtles hatch on a secret beach. The little village of Tortuguero is a back-in-time gem with no roads or streets. It literally sits in between a jungle river and a Caribbean beach so it’s the perfect place to unplug. Every year, thousands of turtles arrive on the beach to nest. Catch the babies hatching between November and January.
To book your own adventure, check out our Costa Rica holidays here.
Author: Laura Chubb
The Wyndham Esplendor Tamarindo is a relaxing haven in Costa Rica’s premier surf and nightlife spot, where every room comes with a sea view.
All-inclusive Riu Palace Costa Rica is a secluded hideaway right on the ocean shore, with pristine sands and four pools to choose from.
Located on the gloriously unspoiled Matapalo Beach, Riu Guanacaste is a five-star beauty that feels like your own private paradise.
Our top deals tailored to you, straight to your inbox Sign up for offers
More from TUI
About TUI MyTUI app Cookies Notice Manage Cookie Preferences Privacy Notice Terms & Conditions Credit card fees Media Centre Travel Jobs Affiliates Discover Lakes & Mountains Discover Weddings App Store for Ios Google Play Store Travel Money Holiday Budget Calculator TUI Group First Choice Holiday Brochures Travel After Brexit Holiday Weather
The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and National Travel Health Network and Centre have up-to-date advice on staying safe and healthy abroad.
See gov.uk/travelaware and follow @FCDOtravelGovUK on Twitter and Facebook.com/FCDOtravel - for the latest general FCDO travel advice, including coronavirus travel guidance, security and local laws, and passport and visa information.
See gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice - for FCDO travel advice about individual destinations.
See Travel Aware page - for travel advice from TUI.
See travelhealthpro.org.uk - for current travel health news.
The advice can change so check regularly for updates.
All the flight-inclusive holidays on this website are financially protected by the ATOL scheme. When you pay you will be supplied with an ATOL Certificate. Please ask for it and check to ensure that everything you booked (flights, hotels and other services) is listed on it. If you do receive an ATOL Certificate but all the parts of your trip are not listed on it, those parts will not be ATOL protected. Some of the flights on this website are also financially protected by the ATOL scheme, but ATOL protection does not apply to all flights. This website will provide you with information on the protection that applies in the case of each flight before you make your booking. If you do not receive an ATOL Certificate then the booking will not be ATOL protected. Please see our booking conditions for information, or for more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to: www.caa.co.uk. ATOL protection does not apply to the other holiday and travel services listed on this website.