#YourBigDay – Meet The Wedding Party
In the second instalment from our winning couple, Natalie and Kriss, they tell us what they think about all the choices from the Facebook voting, and introduce us to the wedding party…
Last month, we heard from our winning couple – Natalie and Kriss – who snagged the prize of a lifetime: a wedding package at the Athena Beach Hotel in Paphos, Cyprus. The big twist? It was up to our Facebook community to pick 5 key elements – colour and theme, the bride’s dress, the bridesmaids’ dresses, the stag and hen do’s, and the first dance song. No pressure, then.
In the couples’ first blog post, they filled us in on shopping for their wedding outfits, and in this instalment, we’re going to hear what they’ve thought of all the choices from the Facebook voting. We’ll also be introduced to the wedding party, who were essentially given golden tickets to the big day at the end of September. Without further ado, it’s over to Natalie and Kriss…
“Hello everyone. Well, the last few months have been a busy time with all big decisions being made on Facebook – we’d like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to cast your votes. The colour and theme (coral beach) and wedding dress (sweetheart neckline) choices have been absolutely perfect.
As for the hen and stag do’s, the ladies will be heading off on a boat trip, and it’s a driving experience for the boys. Kriss and the lads are chuffed with their activity, and I’m certainly looking forward to the boat trip. There are some slight concerns about sea sickness, however, especially from my sister. Funnily enough, she used to be in the Navy!
The bridesmaids will be wearing one-shoulder style dresses, and this has been met with mixed reviews from the girls. They’re a bit concerned about their height and the length of the dresses, but I’ve told them not to worry as they’ll be a very elegant choice. The frocks will be arriving any day now, and I can’t wait for the girls to try them on.
The first dance song choice was an interesting one. We watched the voting very closely, and I was constantly on YouTube typing in the suggested songs to listen to them. My favourite suggestion (which made me chuckle a lot) was from one gentleman who said we should have ‘Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini’. Ahem, enough said! A few people chose ‘our’ song, ‘Just The Way You Are’ by Bruno Mars. But sadly it didn’t make the top 3.
When the top 3 songs were announced, initially we were hoping ‘Amazed’ by Lonestar would come out on top, but the eventual winner – ‘All of Me’ by John Legend – is also a good choice. We were driving to the supermarket and it came on the radio – we both shouted, “This is our first dance song!” and turned it up.
So, the voting has come to an end and you’ve chosen the main details of our wedding – thank you! Over the next few weeks we’ll be busy shopping for holiday clothes, groomsmen’s suits and outfits for our sons. We can’t wait ‘til the wedding now. Only 5 weeks to go.”
“Now, you’ve got to know us a little bit over the course of this process, so I thought I’d give you the low-down on who’ll be celebrating along with us in Cyprus. Here’s the line-up from my side…
- My dad, Richard, who’s also my best man. He was a bit surprised, to say the least, when I asked him.
- My 2 younger sisters, Georgina and Rebekah. Rebekah is going to be a bridesmaid.
- My cousin Stuart, who’s going to be an usher. He didn’t know if he was going to be able to make it at first, and is over the moon he’ll now definitely be able to attend.
- My very good friend, Richie, from the regiment. He’s going to be a witness, and is really excited about the wedding. He’s even brought ‘mankinis’ for him and I to wear on the stag do, so that’ll be a sight for sore eyes!
And from Natalie’s side…
- Her mum, Julie, who’s also a witness.
- Her dad, Ivan, who almost couldn’t make it due to work, but will be flying out a few days’ later.
- Her sister, Rachael, also a bridesmaid.
- Her niece, Sophie, who’s going to be a flower girl.
- Her best friend, Polly – another bridesmaid – who’ll be attending with her husband, Tom. They’ll definitely be in the wedding spirit, since they’re getting married not long before us on the 5th September.
- Her brother, Jason, and his partner, Jordon. Jason will be one of the ushers.
Finally – and most importantly – our 2 sons, Jake and Alfie, will be attending. Jake keeps saying we’re getting ‘merried’ not ‘married’, and he can’t wait to fly on a plane for the first time. Alfie, on the other hand, isn’t quite sure what’s going on – he’s just been demanding juice! Here’s a photo of the four of us when we visited the airport. We wanted to show the boys some planes ahead of our trip…
On the whole, everyone is so excited and can’t believe they’ll be seeing us tie the knot in just a few weeks’ time. A big thank you again to all the amazing people from Thomson for running this competition.”